Sunday, January 18, 2009

The Beginning of My Nerd Education

Lord help me Heidi... my nerdiness continues from the comfort of my own home. You would think my abundance of Sex and the City dvds or Macy's 20% off coupons might keep me occupied for the weekend, but no, the nerd world continues to beckon.

Oh yes, in fact, I registered my first domain over the weekend. AND it redirects to this blog, ta-da!



As it turns out, nerds are marketing geniuses! So that I don't have any creepers finding my address and phone number through a Whois, GoDaddy charges damn near as much as the domain cost to make that information private. It was well worth it I suppose... if I find a larping troll at my doorstep, I am going to be displeased.

Oh, but guess who didn't spend the extra bucks on his domain? And guess who did a Whois and found the precise location of the D&D dungeon master's casa? YUP, this guy:


Yes, I am a nerd detective and the shame is overwhelming. On to a new subject...

So one of Heidi and my plans is to compile a nerd dictionary of sorts. And through my domain registering experience, I found one of these foreign words so fortuitously placed under related searches on my parked page:


BOFFER: Well this has just got to be one of the many insults guys throw around to demean each other's masculinity right? Oh no, Wikipedia has informed me it is actually a foam or latex weapon used in LARPING.

Intrigued by this new addition to my vocabulary, I wanted to see these foam swords in action, and OH DID I:


Thank you Google for making this one of the first boffer images I found, and subsequently burning out my retinas. I retire.

3 comments:

  1. First of all, I have to blog on Sunday mornings because I am just so damn popular, my evenings are booked. Secondly, I'm not mocking, I am providing a public service announcement aboout the dangers of Elman exposure.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lauren! i take a few days off and you BLOG from HOME? oh Lauren... and you used words like "whois" and "parked page"... and not only that... but you said "MY parked page." When i come into work tomorrow, we'll talk about shoes or something so as to save us both.

    ReplyDelete
  3. By the way, not working on Saturdays, you missed a full discussion on Boffing a few weeks ago. Here's the jist of it. One nerd, who shall remain nameless, uttered the unfortunate phrase "Boffing is Larping, but with firmer weapons"... there was no intentional irony in this utterance. But we know... oh, we know.

    ReplyDelete